Is Indian Democracy a Farce?
It all depends on how you define Democracy.
Lets try our hand at various definitions.
Democracy is where people vote, and elect a government.
By this definition we are a resounding success.
Democracy is where people vote without fear, and elect a government.
By this definition we are a reasonable success.
Democracy is where people vote without fear, with knowledge - to elect a government.
By this definition we are at best satisfactory.
Democracy is where people vote without fear, with knowledge, for collective development - to elect a government.
By this definition we are are a failure. (vote for development..? now whats that).
Ok... lets leave this line of argument aside. And flip the question to ask -
What exactly happens in Indian Democracy?
- Elections are announced routinely (Good!)
- Political parties field candidates (In UP Elections upward of 20% candidates had criminal backgrounds)
- People vote and elect govt. - based on what - most recognizable face, caste, whatever? (The present UP Legislative assembly has substantial number of - upward of 40% MLAs - according to some media) with criminal antecedents - this is 'twice' the percentage of Indian Parliament. Media analyses and tells us - the Muslim, Dalit, Brahmin combination worked for the winiing party. Ah!).
- The ougoing govt. relinquishes control (destory files - all there is to hide in govt. departments - yes thats what a SP minister in outgoing UP govt. was doing)
- Chief Minister is sworn and Administration Begins (100 Bureaucrats are transferred within hours of swearing in ceremony - yes thats what Mayawati did. Cabinet berths are alloted .. no not to the most deserving.. but to balance the caste equations).
- Why do the city Roads look like the surface of the moon?
- Why does India have one of the highest taxes in the world, and poorest infrastrcture?
- Where will the power requirements of coming years be met from?
- Why is it that 1/5th of humanity, satisfied with 0 Gold, 0 Silver, 0 Bronze at Olympics.
- Why Corrupt/Criminal Candidates are standing in the elections?
- Why is Primary Education so bad in our country?
- Why do most Govt. Hospitals stink - and it is often considered even dangerous to go there?
- Why is it that Indian Police perceived to be among the most corrupt in the world?