What is Legal Terrorism? When laws are used in a mischievous manner to settle scores, to harass others - it is Legal Terrorism.
Best described with examples:
- A woman filing a dowry harassment case against her husband to teach him a lesson, by citing section 498A, which makes it pretty much mandatory for police to arrest the husband. ( Manoj Prabhakar's wife files dowry harassment case against her husband after 16 years of marriage, Dowry law is a shield, not be an assasin's weapon : court, Guilty until proven Innocent.)
- Police harassing eyewitnesses of accidents and crimes, citing an important act, while refusing to deal honestly with the perpetrators of the crime itself (Browbeating the Witness, MLA is free behind bars! ).
- A doctor refusing to treat an accident victim, citing the absence of a police case - is there even a law in this regard? !!! (Helping Accident Victims).
- Govt. departments hounding honest tax payer's citing important rules and regulations. (Complicating Saral! , Perils of a Honest TaxPayer).
- State govt. machinery gearing itself to harass a top actor citing a animal protection law, while refusing to act against mob goons or provide enough protection for legitimate showing of the actor's film in the state. (Aamir Khan summoned by Gujarat Authorities.)
- A sealing drive that does not target corruption in Administration with an equal force, - which gave rise to the present unfortunate situation. (MCD can't wash its hands off).
The law said: A Cat must never kick a sick Dog. Cat slaps the Dog instead. The law is amended to state: A cat must never kick or slap a sick Dog. The Cat nurses the dog to good health, then slaps and kicks it. The law is amended again: A Cat must never kick or slap a sick Dog or one in good health. The Cat digs a hole and offers it to the Rabbit for stay, and then makes the Dog chase itself. The Dog falls in the Rabbits hole. The Dog is put behind bars because it broke the law which stated: Trespassing into burrows of Rabbits is punishable. The Cat is free. This simple story illustrates the difference between spirit and letter of the law.
When mischief may be the goal or common sense takes leave - laws can be used for Legal Terrorism. When righteousness is the goal or common sense prevails - laws can be great catalysts for the progress of all.