0 Gold, 0 Silver, 0 Bronze
The title reflects the medals tally of India at 2008 Beijing Olympics. Perhaps there will be a bronze, but not very much better. That is the medals tally of 1/5th of Humanity. Some statistics:
At the Athens 2004 Olympics
- India won 0 Gold, 1 Silver, 0 Bronze. [India Area: 1.25 Million Sq. Miles]
- Jamaica won 2 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze [Jamaica Area: 4,111 Sq. Miles]
- Medals Per Million Population - for - Bahamas - 6.3091 [Bahamas Population: 273,000]
- Medals Per Million Population - for - India - 0.0009 [India Population: 1 Billion]
The proud Indian Olympic Association - Website - is very much like the association itself. High on self-congratulation - very low on results. Check out the Chinese Olympic Committee website.
And who is the Sports Minister of India?
- Mani Shankar Aiyar - is at loggerheads with other sports organizations over organizing Commonwealth Games and bidding for other games.
- It was reported that he was given this ministry - as it was important to induct him as a Cabinet Minister - and no other portfolio was available. That tells you the disdain with which Sports Ministry is treated and functions.
- Did not have much to say about India's dismal performance in Doha Asiads where a very large contingent was sent.
Sports Administrations across India are largely headed - no not by Sports Administrators - but Politicians - Sharad Pawar, Priya Ranjan Das Munshi, Lalu Prasad, Suresh Kalmadi and its likes...
Given the shining facts above - there is not much hope for a better medals hunt at the next Olympics.
Not so random thought: China is likely to topple USA from Number 1 Position in Medals Tally at the Beijing Olympics.