A Mockery of Public Health Care
- India has the largest number of Polio cases in the world, and is way ahead (866 cases in 2007) of its nearest competitor Nigeria(286 cases in 2007). See country-wise stats here.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Global TB Report 2006 states that: "India has more new TB cases annually than any other country, ranking first among the 22 high-burden TB countries worldwide." Number One here too. Read stats here.
- Infants die (charred to death inside a incubator) because of negligence of the staff two hospitals - one in Ahmedabad, other in New Delhi. It is not just a co-incidence that both were government hospitals.
- Want to know of Certified Corruption? Here it is - at govt. hospitals in Bangalore. Clerks make hay at the cost of patients.
- We rank one of the lowest in terms of percentage of GDP spent on Public HealthCare. India ranks 171st out of 175 countries in percentage of GDP spent in the public sector on health.
Mr Ambumani Ramadoss (Health Minister) - You usually have a lot to say on silly subjects - here is an important one Mr Minister - Speak Up.
Ms Renuka Chowdhury (Women and Child Welfare Minister) - there is more to your ministry than shouting male-bashing slogans and creating third-grade laws to suit your whims. Get the child-care right in your beloved government hospitals, and you will be popular without trying.